1. How many days did June have in the early Roman calendar?
When Julius Caesar reformed the calendar he added an extra day.
2. Which month was June in the early Roman calendar?
Another alteration made in Roman times, was the moving of January and February to the beginning of the year, thus making June the sixth month.
3. The solstice is in June. On or between which of these dates does it occur?
Answer Between 20th and 22nd
In the northern hemisphere it is the summer solstice. In the southern hemisphere it is the winter solstice.
4. What two flowers are usually recognised as the birth flowers for June?
Answer Rose and Honeysuckle
5. Which of these is not one of the three June gems?
6. In the old saying what is ‘a swarm of bees in June’ worth?
Answer silver spoon
‘A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay, A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon, A swarm of bees in July is not worth a fly’
7. From what musical does the song ‘June is busting out all over’ come?
Hammerstein and Rodgers musical ‘Carousel’ was first performed in the Majestic Theatre, New York, on April 19, 1945.